Options

Who is going on the 9/30/17 trip? Arriving early? Zimbabwe? Vaccines.

My husband and I are going on the 9/30/17 Botswana, SA and Zambia trip. We'll be arriving at The Royal Livingstone a day early. Anyone else doing that?

Since we will be arriving a day early, we are wondering if we should get the Zambia/Zimbabwe visa (rather than just Zambia) so we can visit the Zimbabwe side of the falls.

We are confused about whether to get the Yellow Fever vaccine. Everything we read implies we do not need to get it, but I read something on this forum that passengers traveling a year or two ago were asked to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccine when crossing into Botswana from Zambia.

Thanks for your responses!

Comments

• Options
    I think you will find that most of the experienced travelers here got the YF shots, but you should check with the CDC and consult a travel doc in case you have special circumstances that preclude you from getting them. Another thing, if you continue to travel you will most likely go to a country that requires the shots. Unless you are a special case why would you not get them? Better safe than sorry.

You only need a Univisa if you plan to cross over to Zimbabwe (for view of falls or side trip) and don't want to get one at the bridge. You'll get various opinions and depending on time of year which side has the best view.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks AlanS!
  • Options
    We have seen the Falls from both sides and the Zimbabwe side is a better view. When we went to Zambia last year, it was during the dry season, so there was not much water, but just as imteresting were the rock formations you would normally not see. I also recommend helicopter tours over the Falls, I took one on each of my trips. I studied Geology to British 'A ' level and Geography, Biology too, so that's why I love all the physical parts of seeing a new country as well as the vegetation, never mind the history, art and people.
    Yellow fever vaccine, just get it and get it out of the way. Ours was the tour where we were asked to present our Yellow fever certificates at the river crossing from Zambia into Botswana, but we all had them, so I don't know what would have happened if we had not. The reports you read about complications from this vaccine have been highly over reported. Read the scientific literature very carefully and you can see this. Botswana, when I last looked, is one of the few countries that still requires a second Yellow fever vaccine after ten years. I hope that has changed because by the time I go the next time it will be over ten years since I had mine.
  • Options
    Hello, alyberk! My wife and I will also be arriving at the Royal Livingstone Hotel a day ahead of the tour. Idk about the visa but I'm leaning toward the multi-use visa, and we have had the yellow fever shots.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Jeltravels!

Did you have any reactions to the YF shots? Our travel doc is adamant that we don't need it for our itinerary, but I am still on the fence.

We haven't decided on the multi-use visa. My guess is that as long as we land as scheduled and actually have the extra day, we will. We are flying from the SF Bay Area.
  • Options
    We had no problem with yellow fever shots. Looking forward to traveling with you all!
  • Options
    Jeltravels, we're looking forward to meeting you too!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    alyberk wrote:
    Thanks Jeltravels!

Did you have any reactions to the YF shots? Our travel doc is adamant that we don't need it for our itinerary, but I am still on the fence.

Ask your doc if he'll pay if you are stopped at the border and prevented from entering or ask him if he'll guarantee the safety of the needle if you must get a shot at the border. He is probably basing his medical "opinion" on (a) the country you are arriving from doesn't have YF, and/or (b) the threat of YF in the countries/areas to be visited do not currently have a YF threat, both of which would normally mean you don't need the shot. The problem with that is you are in a foreign/third world country and you don't know what their policy will be tomorrow or two days later, and you don't know how and if they will react if suddenly they require YF shots and your don't have them.

Get the shot and be done with it! Someday you'll probably take a trip where you absolutely need the YF shots.
  • Options
    I do second what Alan has to say. We recently had the chance for a last minute trip to Africa in early November, we already have all the shots from past trips, so all we need are the Malaria meds and antibiotics etc for emergencies.
  • Options
    OK, I'm really sorry to continue this discussion, but..... We agree with Alan and British about the YF vaccine. We went to our regular travel clinic today here in SW Florida. Nope, they don't have any and they don't know when. They gave us a list of places to check, called them all, nope not in stock and no waiting list. We could drive two hours to Miami, but are concerned even if they say they have it, they will be out. Our regular doc called his supplier today also, nope..... So my question is, if we have to get an "exemption" from our doc, what does it look like? Does he sign the yellow card and say exempt, write a letter? What would be acceptable? We will keep looking, as we don't go until next May, but want to cover our bases. Thanks much.
  • Options
    go to the CDC website or google 'Exemption certificate for Yellow Fever and it explains how the letter must be written stamped and so on. I tried to cut and paste but it did not work.
  • Options
    Thanks British
  • Options
    We are arriving a day early ,22nd September Any ideas on what to do the next morning without duping Tauck tours?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Micro-light or helo flight over the falls, bungee jump, walk thru the park near the hotel, walk w/cheetahs, ride elephants,. get a massage, or veg out pool-side, etc., etc. Search the B, SA, Z forum archives and Google for more ideas.
  • Options
    We did the tour last year at the same time. Arrived a day early also. The falls were dry and looked no better from Zimbabwe side. Suggest that you just relax. Maybe walk to the falls--its nearby. The hotel was great with lots of roaming animals--baboons, zebra, giraffe, etc. Botswana is the highlight. Be sure to sleep out in the Kalahari but wear warm clothes. It gets cold in the desert at night. BTW--get the YF shot.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to our trip ... and did get YF taken care of!