Options

Best time for Spain and Portugal

Looking to book this trip next year. Any suggestions on the best time of year to do this tour?

Comments

• Options
    We are going Oct 10th and sure wish we knew how to see the answers!
  • Options
    Do you mind very hot temperatures or prefer a quiet time to go. Do you want a guarantee of no rain? These could all influence your choice. If you go to the tour page open up the Before you Go tab and Preparing to Go tab and you will find a weather section. The best time to go in my opinion is May and those dates are already filling up.
  • Options
    We went in May. Beautiful weather.
  • Options
    Here are my steps for deciding when to go somewhere:

1. I Google "when is the best time to go to ________"

2. After getting a general feeling from a few sites found with the above search, I go to: https://weather-and-climate.com/
    and pick a few representative cities/countries on the trip to get a feel for temps and potential for rain.

3. Next, I google, the individual countries searching for national holidays I may want to avoid, so major museums/attractions aren't likely to be replaced with alternate activities.

While there are no guarantees, so far I haven't been disappointed with trip selection time. However, it was unusually hot in Scandinavia earlier this summer, and it was unusually hot in Budapest in June 2017, while I was there.

You should be able to avoid major weather surprises and disappointments. For example, I recall reading a post in the Japan forum about someone complaining it rained every day. Well, duh, they went during the rainy season when it does rain every day.

I was in Spain and Portugal many years ago in late Fall. It was perfect, except for a garbage worker strike in Madrid. Summer in Spain is brutal, with 100+F temps and high humidity every day. I'll let you take it from there.
  • Options
    Yes BKMD, that is always our approach! Our most memorable weather surprise was also a heatwave in the Fall in Italy, but otherwise, every trip we have taken has been the weather we expected by doing research beforehand.
  • Options
    We are doing the July 5th Portugal and Spain, but not for any ‘good’ reasons, just that it is the only trip that fits our schedule. I expect the venues to be crowded, and the weather to be ‘warm’.

Presently back at the Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite for the fourth time this year. We have done it in the snow, and in the sunshine. Love it either way. Presently beautiful, and the smoke has cleared.